I found this recipe in All You Magazine last year, and with a few adaptations, made this a regular dinner on the menu.
Mini Penne with Italian Sausage
- 1 lb. Mini Penne Pasta
- 1 lb. bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce cans) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp dried crushed basil
- 1 tsp dried crushed oregano
- 1 (5-6 oz. bag of spinach)
- 1 small package Bel Gioioso Fresh Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions and drain.
- Rinse and dry spinach with a salad spinner.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat sauté onion in olive oil before adding the sausage to brown. Cook sausage until no longer pink then stir in garlic, basil and oregano and cook for only an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min.
- Stir sausage mixture into pot with the drained cooked penne pasta. Add spinach and mozzarella cooking over medium heat, just until the spinach wilts. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.