My husband is not a fan of chicken. It all stems back to time he spent on an itty bitty base during the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom. It’s been several years since then, but he still gives me dirty looks if chicken is on the menu. Which makes me getting a Ronco Rotisserie for Christmas one year amusing. It also means anytime I find a chicken dish he does like, it’s a keeper-AND this recipe is a keeper.
Easy Chicken & Dumplings
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chicken seasoning
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 celery ribs diced
- small bag frozen peas
- 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, flattened and cut into strip pieces
- In a small bowl combine paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and chicken seasoning. Coat chicken breasts with seasonings and then place in slow cooker.
- In a frying pan on medium heat melt 2 TBSP butter and soften onions and cellery.
- Add wine, soup, onion, celery, remaining 2 TBSP butter, and peas to the slow cooker. Fill with enough chicken broth to cover the mixture.
- Cover crock and cook for 6 hours on low. Cook on high another 2 hours. About 1 hour before serving, place the strips of biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
Yield: 8 servings