Coffee Filter Wreath

I was inspired by Pintrest, this pin specifically. I saw it and knew immediately I wanted to make one.                                                                                                I am not even going to try and recreate the tutorial to make this wreath. Really you will want to refer to Salvaged Whimsy’s Blog tutorial’s. She covers everything from dying the coffee filters to construction of the flowers, and then the actual wreath construction. Overall it is not a difficult project, but it is time intensive.

In total I want to say it cost me $15.00 to make this wreath. Here’s what you need to make this project:

  • Coffee filters. I picked up a big pack from Costco for $3.00. Salvaged Whimsy also recommends getting coffee filters from dollar stores.
  • Scissors
  • Glue gun and lots of glue sticks. I went through almost 10 of those extra long glue sticks.
  • Wreath form. I picked up one at JoAnn’s for $8.00. Salvaged Whimsy constructs her own out of paper plates and tissue paper.
  • Tissue paper-I still used this to wrap the wreath with before adhering the coffee filter flowers.
  • Dye. There is a big range of what you can use. I used our left over Easter Egg dye.

Salvaged Whimsy has great information on dying the coffee filters and I followed her process of dying them in pie pans. I literally laid out coffee filters in pie plates and dumped our used Plaid Easter Egg dye and then another cup of water over them. It worked great. If you are going to use the Plaid Easter Egg dye, I recommend premixing the pink color with more water before dumping on the coffee filters. I did not use the blue dyed filters on this wreath. It just was not the color mix I was going for. However I can totally see myself rolling blue flowers in the future for a different wreath, we’ll see. Once you have gone through the process of dying and drying coffee filters you hand cut them into something that resembles this:

Then you roll from the outside in. The best advice I can give you in rolling these flowers is this,  the less you try the better they look. Don’t roll them tight, and don’t overthink it. I glued along the entire center edge because I worked with two layers of filters. I wanted my flowers to be a little more full looking. You are aiming for seventy of these lovely little paper creations. I have been rolling flowers on and off for a few weeks now. This is not a fast project. Between dying and drying coffee filters and the flower construction I estimate a good 8-9 hours of work went into this project.

I was on the fence about pre-wrapping my styrofoam wreath in tissue paper, but in the end I am glad I did. I also added a ribbon tie before I wrapped in tissue paper so I was not stuck trying to figure out how to hang it after it was all assembled. 

I am in love with the outcome. It is as good or better than I hoped it would be when I fell in love with that pin. Thanks for checking in with me on my blog, I hope you have a great day.